- Norman Public Schools
- News Releases
Siano joins Oklahoma Policy Institute board of directors
Oklahoma Policy Institute today announced that Dr. Joseph (Joe) Siano, Superintendent of Norman Public Schools, and Charles (Chuck) Garrett, executive vice president at Cherokee Nation Businesses, have joined our Board of Directors.
“We are delighted to add two widely-admired and respected individuals who have made outstanding contributions to our state through their professional careers and community service,” said Ann-Clore Duncan, OK Policy’s Board Chair. “Joe and Chuck will add to our tradition of building a strong, nonpartisan board that is thoughtful, far-sighted, policy-focused, and comprised of individuals who bring a wide range of personal and professional experiences to the table.”
Oklahoma Policy Institute (okpolicy.org) is an independent, non-profit think tank based in Tulsa that provides data-driven analysis and advocates for fair and responsible public policies.
Dr. Joseph Siano has served as Superintendent of Norman Public Schools since 2000. Previously he was Assistant Superintendent in the Oklahoma City Public Schools and served in various leadership positions in the Putnam City Public Schools. Dr. Siano received his Bachelor of Science of Degree from Oklahoma City University, his Master of Science from the University of Central Oklahoma, and his Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Oklahoma.
“I look forward to working with David Blatt and the OK Policy staff and board as we work with our state leaders to find creative solutions to move our state forward,” said Dr. Siano.
Dr. Siano is an active member of many education and civic organizations. He was selected as Administrator of the Year in 2006 by the Oklahoma Association of School Administrators (OASA) and later served as OASA President in 2012-13. He has been recognized as Superintendent of the Year by the Oklahoma Alliance for Arts Education in 2003 and received the Excellence in Educational Leadership Award from the University Council of Educational Administration in 2004. Dr. Siano served as Chair of the United Way of Norman in 2013-14 and is an active participant with the American Heart Association, Junior Achievement, Norman Public School Foundation, and Norman Business Association, among other organizations. Dr. Siano lives in Norman with his wife, Lynne.
“I know that Joe and Chuck share a commitment to OK Policy’s core values of fiscal responsibility and expanded opportunity for all Oklahomans,” said David Blatt, OK Policy’s Executive Director. “My staff and I are excited by the contributions they will bring to the continued growth and strength of the organization.”
Chuck Garrett currently serves as executive vice president of Cherokee Nation Businesses, the tribally-owned holding company of the Cherokee Nation, designed to create economic opportunities and prosperity for the Cherokee Nation and all of northeast Oklahoma. Garrett works closely with CNB’s chief executive officer and board of directors to set vision, direction and strategy for the company’s business interests. Those business interests include gaming and hospitality, as well as government contracting in the information technology, security and defense, real estate, manufacturing, construction and health care industries.
The other members of OK Policy’s Board are:
- Ann-Clore Duncan (Board Chair), trustee to the Oklahoma City National Memorial and Museum Foundation and past president of Girl Scouts Western Oklahoma and the Junior League of Oklahoma City;
- Don Millican (Board Treasurer), Chief Financial Officer for Kaiser Francis Oil Company and chair of the Oklahoma Christian University Board of Trustees;
- Nancy Robertson (Board Secretary), former Senior Vice-President at Sonic, America’s Drive-In;
- Felicia Collins Correia, founder FCC Consultation and Training;
- Linda Edmondson, social worker and community volunteer;
- John Feaver, President of the University of the Sciences and Arts of Oklahoma;
- Ken Fergeson, chairman of NBC Oklahoma Bank and chairman of the Mid-America Arts Alliance;
- David Goin, past Superintendent of Edmond Public Schools;
- Vincent LoVoi, Managing Partner of Mimosa Tree Capital Partners LLC. and publisher of This Land Press.