Norman Board of Education Office 5 Vacancy
Following the resignation of Ms. Linda Sexton after 33 years of dedicated service to the Norman Public Schools District, the Norman Board of Education Office 5 is vacant effective Jan. 1, 2023. The Board of Education is now accepting applications to fill the seat. The Board will review applications, conduct an interview process and then select a person to fill the Office 5 seat for the remainder of the original term, at which point a regular election for Office 5 will occur as scheduled.
Below you will find information on how to apply for Office 5. All applications are to be submitted in person, in a sealed envelope, at the Norman Public Schools Administrative Services Center (131 S. Flood Ave.) no later than 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2022.
Serving on a school board is a great way to give back to your community. At Norman Public Schools our mission is to prepare and inspire all students to achieve their full potential. The Norman Board of Education believes:
- Quality public education in a safe environment is a fundamental civil right for every child.
- Public education is an essential foundation of our democracy.
- Local boards of education:
- Are best suited and have the right to make decisions for their districts.
- Truly make a difference by providing leadership for student learning.
- Must represent their communities.
- Protect the financial health of their districts.
Board members have a tremendous opportunity to invest their time and energy in a cause that has transformative power: public education. Board members have much to offer their communities. School board service is a meaningful opportunity to contribute and offer new or different viewpoints and experiences and should reflect diverse perspectives and voices.
Board members also bear great responsibility and while serving is a great opportunity, it comes with a considerable amount of work and requires a great deal of dedication and commitment.
As you consider running, think about what being a board member means to you, your family and your community.
Local boards govern local school districts. Board actions directly affect the families of every student and employee in our schools. The duties of a board member include working with other board members to craft policies, approve a budget, and hire/supervise the superintendent who serves as CEO. It’s an important commitment and should be considered thoughtfully.
Who Can Serve?
To be eligible, a candidate must:
In addition to the requirements above, a candidate must meet the following criteria:
- Have resided in the district for at least six months preceding the first day of the application period, and have been a registered voter with the county election board at an address located within the geographical boundaries of the board office sought for six months preceding the first day of the application period. 26 O.S. § 13A-106.
- Click here to view Norman Board of Education Boundaries.
Below are the most common relationships that are within the second degree and therefore a person seeking to be appointed to the board would be ineligible:
- The individual cannot have been convicted of, or have pled guilty or no contest to, a felony under state or federal law or a misdemeanor involving embezzlement. A person having a record of any of these crimes is not eligible to file for the school board position pending appeal or for a period of 15 years following completion of the sentence.
- The individual must hold a high school diploma or certificate of high school equivalency.
- The individual must not be a current employee of the district.
- The individual must not be related within the second degree by blood or marriage to a current school district employee or current member of the board of education (While there are exceptions, they do not apply to NPS.)
- Board members, once appointed, must continue to meet all requirements, otherwise, their seat may be declared vacant.
- Once appointed, a Board member must be willing to meet all applicable continuing education requirements.
- Child / child’s spouse
- Parent / parent’s spouse
- Grandchild/grandchild’s spouse
- Grandparent/grandparent’s spouse
- Brother / brother’s spouse
- Sister / sister’s spouse
- Spouse’s child
- Spouse’s parent
- Spouse’s grandchild
- Spouse’s grandparent
- Spouse’s brother
- Spouse’s sister
Note: Siblings that share one parent, are considered equal to a full sibling sharing two parents.
To apply, candidates must submit the following:
- Letter of intent and purpose
- Completed application form
Click below to download the application form.
All materials must be submitted in person, in a sealed envelope, at the Norman Public Schools Administrative Services Center (131 S. Flood Ave) no later than 4 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 13, 2022.