The mission of the Norman Public School District's athletic program is to provide all students with:
- Instruction in developing strong, fit bodies and fostering personal growth
- Opportunity to experience healthy competition and teamwork
- Encouragement to give full effort to academics and athletics
- Assistance in continuing educational, athletic and fitness pursuits into their adult years
Site Athletic Directors
Norman High - Bo Maynes
Norman North - Courtney Norton
Alcott Middle School - Chris Housman
Irving Middle School - Kevin Chesley
Longfellow Middle School - Larry Morman
Whittier Middle School - Daniel Keith Lough
Norman Public Schools
Athletic Event Guidelines
Dear Student-Athletes, Coaches, Staff, Officials, Administrators, Parents and Patrons:
On behalf of Norman Public Schools, we would like to welcome you to our facilities. As we navigate through our fall sports season, we would like you to know that the health and safety of all student-athletes, coaches, staff, official, administrators, parents and patrons are our top priority.
Below are our NPS Athletic Event Guidelines for Fall Sports:
● Mask or face coverings are required for all participants, coaches, workers, officials(when applicable), patrons or anyone entering a Norman Public Schools Facility. Refusal to wear a mask or face covering will prevent admittance into the facility. Visiting teams coaches and/or administration will be responsible for assisting with facial covering for visiting spectators.
● ONLY family members of participants will be allowed to attend athletic events. Families should remain socially distanced from all other spectators.
● Coaches are required to wear masks or face coverings at all times.
● It is expected that all opposing teams and coaches conduct COVID-19 screening and temperature checks before traveling to NPS facilities.
● Participants (players) may remove their masks while engaged in competition on the field or court. Should participants choose to wear masks during competition, they may do so.
● Athletes not engaged in competition(dugout/bench area) will be required to wear facial coverings.
● All spectators should make every effort to have exact change for gate and concession transactions. Gate entry is $5.00 for adults and students (K-12). Ticket sellers and concessions workers will be required to wear masks and gloves. We would like to limit exchanges between patrons and works while promoting social distancing with limited gatherings in both areas.
● All non-participants will be required to wear masks/face coverings at all times and maintain social distance when possible.
● While we believe sportsmanship is a paramount to the development of young people, at this time, we will recommend no pre-game or post-game hand shaking, high-fives, or fist bumps between opposing teams to reduce contact as much as possible.
● At some of our venues, there will be seating areas marked off as unavailable. Please refrain from sitting in these areas to help keep our student-athletes, coaches and officials as safe as possible.
● Visiting teams will be responsible for bringing their own individual water bottles.
● For participants, officials and coaches, no shared towels, clothing, shoes or water bottles.
● For shared equipment, such as bats, helmets, catchers gear, etc., sanitation should occur in between use when necessary.
● Locker rooms will be accessible to teams but we highly recommend, for both home and visiting teams as well as officials, to come dressed and ready to participate for the event. Masks will be required in locker rooms, athletic training rooms and coaches' offices and any area considered outside of the playing field or court. Locker rooms will be sanitized prior to and after occupancy.
● Concession stands will be selling only prepackaged items such as candy bars, chips, crackers, etc. All beverages will be in bottles.
● Only necessary personnel will be allowed in the press box and at scorer’s tables.
● Teams will not rotate benches during a scheduled competition, such as in between volleyball sets, chairs should be sanitized.
● NPS athletes and coaches will be expected to follow NPS event guidelines at home and away contests.
*Event guidelines are subject to change as we receive additional data and information.
Congratulations to the NPS student-athletes who were selected 2019-2020 All-State in their respective sport.